Wednesday, January 30, 2013

about me.

At a very early age I would sit on our gravel road in the country, sorting out rocks and fossils of all sizes, shapes and colors, trying to make sense of them.   I grew up witnessing my family's small farming business and would help my father in the crawfish ponds.   In my spare time I would draw or make little art pieces with anything I could find available.  I had pet raccoons, chickens and grew up near a bayou.  
      My life changed at the early age of 11.  In 1990,  John Sayles filmed a movie, "Passion Fish" in my hometown. It seemed like yesterday....  I met a "real artist" working on the backdrop paintings for the set of the film.  For years she stayed in touch with me, sending me books, paintbrushes, tools and her original drawings.  I knew this day that I was destined to become an artist.  The following year I was completely inspired when Floyd Sonnier (Lafayette Artist) drew with me at a French Festival.  To this day, I am completely interested in getting adults and youth involved in the art world, giving back just like those who inspired me.  These days I am currently filming a major video project, telling stories and documenting how art changes peoples lives. Because it changed mine.

   I grew up in the small town of Hathaway (12 miles North of Jennings, LA)  I have to admit that at an early age, 4-H changed my life because I was always involved in leadership projects, demonstrations, public speaking, and of course any creative project I could imagine.   I always wanted to be a fashion designer and I have always wanted to make a movie, and I will.   I have not held any other job other than doing what I love to do: connecting the world with my art.

     In 2002 I graduated from McNeese State University, Cum Laude -with a bachelors degree in Visual Arts and a concentration in printmaking and engraving.   I established Alexander Art Studio in 2002 and immediately hit the road traveling with a baby printing press, making a living out of my van, campgrounds, renaissance faires..even selling my work on the streets of NYC.   I lived in campgrounds and in parking lots in Jackson Square.  I starved but I did what I loved to do.

     In 2007 I realized that I came back home to Louisiana, only to find out that what I was searching for was here the whole time: my roots, my tribe and a dream unfolding right before my eyes, something I manifested through prayers and writing for years.

I began my most popular work, "Fleur de lis- Worlds Within Series"  in Lafayette- December 2007.   This new work is a combination with the earliest printing processes to the most advanced techniques.  I push the question of "what IS an original?"   For the past 12 years I have made my way from a struggling starving artist to opening a 5000 Sq. Ft.  gallery and studio downtown Lake Charles, LA.  With collectors nationally and internationally, my goal remains to connect people through love and through art.     In 2010 I was nominated Artist Of the Year in Lake Charles.  In 2013 I was voted Southwest Louisiana Best Artist by the people.  I have designed several festival posters and  currently have a team of 5-10 people who are amazing members and I call them my "dream team".  We strive to buy local and create local.   I have an amazing family and friends who support my passion as an artist.  I love to garden, I love to play tennis, travel and collaborate ideas with other artists.   I look forward to continuing on this path by remaining true to myself  and I am grateful to be blessed to have people who love what I do.  I can say that I have the best supporters in the world!


No comments:

Post a Comment