Friday, November 16, 2012

Angels and the passing of the torch: A dream team

With Black Friday creeping around the corner and Christmas approaching, I sit in my office and cant help but reflect how amazing things happen sometimes.
     A couple of years ago, when Alexander Art Studio was in the midst of becoming what it is today (this is only the beginning however) a young girl called me out of the blue. She was from Maryland. I didnt know her, and she told me she googled "artists, Lake Charles" and I was the first hit that showed up.  For months she called me back asking if I would be needing help because she was moving here with her husband to work for Louisiana Green Fuels.  I just knew I wouldnt need her.  I told her to call me back in a month, then in another month, and like clock work and on time- she did.  When she finally arrived in Lake Charles nearly 6 months later, she called me again.    Hali worked and helped Alexander Art Studio grow for over a year.  We grew out of one room of Historic Central School- to two rooms.
     After that year, Hali informed me that she would be moving back to Maryland because of her husband's job.  I was devastated.  I had no idea who I would find that could replace her, because I knew no one could.  And no one did...but...
      Little did I know- Hali would be passing her torch to her husband's best friend, Nathan.  I trusted in God that this was the best move, and I believed that change was a blessing in disguise.  It was and today I have to admit that I am witnessing what I am calling the Alexander Art Studio Dream Team.
It was somewhat rough getting use to a new assistant in a growing business.  It was a practice of patience starting from scratch, training and teaching someone new how to make things happen in my creative art world.

I compare this story to angels.  I believe that if we are clear with what we want in life...and in our passions- things that we need will come to us at the right time.
During all of the above, I have had some amazing help that has been by my side and helped the business grow.  Jesse, also going to school has been a solid rock and always there doing amazing works in the backstage of Alexander Art Studio.  I must recognize my mom for doing 200% of an amazing job on the records in the business...lawd!

In August 2012, out of the blue I decided to open the 5000 sq. ft store front on Ryan Street, Downtown Lake Charles, LA.  As the grand opening was approaching, we sent out a huge email blast and at the bottom we mentioned that we may be needing help.  Again, from no where a young woman showed up, volunteered her time, and immediately walked on the team.   Whats ironic, is that she has also lived in Maryland where my previous assistant was from. Cooincidence?, NO.    I couldnt have asked for a more loyal honest and trustworthy team player.   Kim has not only become a worker, but a really awesome friend to me.  I value that.

Today, we speak of going on retreats where we can vacation and be away from what WE create on a daily basis.  I look forward to this time in the new year.   Great things are happening.  We are creating local jobs, making new work and bringing awareness to the community with what we are doing.
But if you are reading this- you are curious- you are also part of that dream team - and its because of your support- that we can do this! So, thank you.

I appreciate my  team...you are all angels to me.

Candice
Sunrise, By Norah Jones


   

No comments:

Post a Comment